Friday, August 9, 2013

English-Vinglish 1

Its funny how you remember some incidents in your life. This one is quite old during my Diploma College. I was studying in Pimpri Chinchwad Polytechnic. Coming from bit rural background and marathi medium I was not very good at English. In this regard all my friends were much better than me. They were all from english medium. So they knew english words much better than me.

At that time I didn't know the meaning of word ASS. Though there are multiple meanings to this particular word we all know which one is famous. Still at that time, i was unaware of this famous meaning and hence when our teacher gave us list of assignments to be done in Diwali vacation, with my heroics I did all of them plus the ones which Mam was not expecting before time. The only problem with my work was I named all my assignment programs with naming convention as "Ass1.c" "ass2.c" "ass3.c"  ... and so on "assn.c"

When We came back from vacation, I think I was the one bragging with all assignments done . I went to Mam and told her that I have done all assignments. Firstly, she couldn't believe. Then I asked her to check it on computer. My couple of friends were with me. She said fine, and I copied assignment programs from Floppy. I started showing her one by one.
"this is ass1.c"
"should I open ass2.c?"
"lets see ass3.c"

When I started with that I observed that Mam's face was turning pale and she was embarrassed. I didn't know why. So do my friends. She said fine. She is happy with work. and you can leave.

Its only when one sardarji from my class saw those assignment names and found something odd about it . He said, "I think you should know meaning of word before you start using it. Do you the meaning of this ?" pointing to assignment name. I said "No". He said check it. :-)

When we came to know the real meaning of that word, we couldn't stop laughing. as we knew why mam's face turned blue on seeing those assignments.

Anyway that incident added this nice word to our vocabulary . these days i hear this a lot when I watch english movies. I really think English movies should be bit more sophisticated.Too much F words and A words.



1 comment:

  1. hi
    i am cse student i need some help in doing this project in open gl. could you help?

    ReplyDelete